Chiropractic Treatment for Herniated Disc
Herniated disc vs. Bulging disc
A bulging disk is a disc that extends past the normal space it normally occupies. A herniated disc is when the disc is damaged due to a tear or rupture. A slipped disc, or herniated disc is a very painful condition, it can lead to a pinched spinal cord or nerve root. The problem with a herniated or bulging disc is that it can be a very difficult condition to treat and can lead to debilitating pain for the patient.
When the outer annular fibers of the spinal cord are weak, it is possible for a vertebrae to shift. This can lead to the misalignment of the spinal column or the spinal cord itself being pinched. In addition it can lead to pinched nerves in-between the vertebrae leading to severe pain.
Causes of bulging or herniated disc:
- A sedentary lifestyle – If you are not active, it can cause weakening of the musculature around the spinal joints
- Obesity – Being overweight puts more strain on the muscles throughout the body and can lead to increased weakening, and wear and tear, of the joints
- Accidents or falls – During an accident, it is possible for a disc to shift, resulting in a bulging or herniated disc
- Repeated insult or minor injuries that can escalate – Repeated minor injuries that never heal correctly, continually weaken the musculature of the spinal joints, and leads to perpetual edema. That ultimately increases joint instability
- Poor health and nutritional habits – Sugar, inadequate hydration, or not enough protein in the body, can lessen lean muscle mass and lead to weakening of the joints.
- Weekend warrior behaviors – If you sit for extended periods of time during the week and then go out on the weekends expecting for your body to handle being extremely active, it can easily result in injury
- Potential genetic predispositions – There is growing evidence to link weakened muscles in the spinal joints to genetics.
How can a chiropractor help?
There are various surgical procedures available for a patient with a herniated or bulging disc, but they are highly invasive, and the results are mixed depending on the cause and the patient. Before you consider surgery, chiropractic care should be your first course of treatment.
Often, the herniated disc pain you experience is being triggered by a pinched nerve. At Raleigh Specific Chiropractic we can manipulate the spinal column, releasing the pinched nerve, and provide instant relief without the need for invasive surgical procedures. This procedure also will allow you to stop using pain medications that do very little to help with the nerve pain that results from a pinched nerve or spinal column. However, it is probable that all you need is a realignment, combined with physical therapy, to relieve your pain and symptoms. Regular chiropractic treatment will also prevent the condition from reoccurring in the future.
If you are in need of treatment for herniated or bulging disc, our team at Raleigh Specific Chiropractic can help. The professional staff is knowledgeable, experienced, and fully licensed. Schedule an appointment today, or give us a call at (919) 846-7004.